I’m always looking for pre-generated lists to add to my gamemastering binder. You just never know what you’ll need to come up with on the fly, and lists of names (people, taverns, businesses, etc), treasures, encounters, and so on can make your GM life so much easier. After I wrote my post about marginalia, I realized that one of the things I was missing from my collection of lists was a list of book titles. As much as I love it when there is a library in a published adventure, too often they name the plot important books and ignore the rest. Inevitably one of the players will ask about those other books.
Problem solved! I sat down and made a list of book titles covering a range of subjects. I started with twenty five titles, and I’ll be adding to the list as more titles occur to me. I’ve shared those first twenty five below, giving you a starting point for your own list. Obviously you should feel free to modify these entries to better fit your campaign. The titles range in tone from silly to serious. The list is also weighted to books which might fit a fantasy or occult campaign, but it wouldn’t be hard to create a list of more modern titles if that was needed.
- Non-Euclidean Geometry and Its Application to Architectural Design, Vol. II (Vol. I is not present)
- Oozes, Molds, and Semi-Intelligent Plants: A Cook’s Guide
- My Time Amongst the Vegepygmies
- Her Hooves They Shone Like the Diamonds: Collected Love Poems and Songs of the Centaur Peoples
- What Colour is Your Gelatinous Cube?: Tips for Using Dyes and Stains
- Elves are from the Feywild, Orcs are from Gruumsh
- A Fifty Year Retrospective of the Cheesemaker’s Guild
- Inter-City Relations in Post-Scarcity Faerun
- The Care and Feeding of Your Buopoth
- A Gentleman’s Guide to Bullywug Etiquette
- The Collected Minutes of the Ptolus Benevolent Society, Volume XVII
- Gold, Beer, and Steel: A Dwarven Songbook
- Oh Brother Where Art Thou?: How to Lead Your Own Cult
- Half-Orc, All Rage: Tips and Tricks for Anger Management
- Calling the Great Old Ones, a Posthumous Publication
- Monster Scatology: a Jeweler’s Guide
- Whose Bones are Those?: Dice Games of the Planes
- Kobold Guide to Trap Design
- Predator and Prey: Dating a Lycanthrope
- Weather Readings on Mount Thrandor, Common Year 4637
- If it Fits, It’s Grits: A Field Guide to Goblin Cuisine
- A Barbarian’s Guide to Unleashing What’s Inside (Your Enemy)
- Fur-braiding Styles of the Lowland Bugbear Tribes
- A Crafter’s Guide to Humanoid Physiology
- The Mysterious Case of the Left-handed Flumph
There you go! Feel free to adjust any of these titles to better fit your campaign. Or don’t, and leave the players wondering.
Do you have some favourite in-game book titles? Share them in the comments below.