Let Me Help
I provide editing services for individuals and small businesses at reasonable rates. If you are a self-publishing author, small press publisher, or indie role-playing game writer/designer, I would love to help you with your next project. Good editing can make the difference between a good reader response and a great one.
As an editor, my priority is to help your work shine. I approach every editing job with enthusiasm and respect; I think those two things are key to working with any writer’s creation. Our first step will be a conversation, by email or Skype/Google Hangout, to get an idea of what you’re looking for and to establish the scope of the project. If your company has an editing test for freelancers, I’m happy to take it.
I normally charge an hourly rate, negotiable depending on the project and your overall budget. We can also discuss a flat rate for the project. I use the following estimates for pages per hour, taken from Amy Einsohn’s The Copyeditor’s Handbook, Second Edition (University of California Press, 2006):
- Substantive, structural, or stylistic editing of a difficult text: 1 to 2 pages/hour
- Substantive, structural, or stylistic editing of a standard text: 2 to 3 pages/hour
- Copy editing a difficult text: 2 to 4 pages/hour
- Copy editing a standard text: 4 to 7 pages/hour
- Proofreading a difficult text: 4 to 6 pages/hour
- Proofreading a standard text: 6 to 9 pages/hour
I would prefer to receive documents electronically, in either .doc/.docx or .rtf (rich-text format), though I can work from hard-copy if you require. In the case of hard-copy, the client is responsible for the cost of document shipping in both directions.
For All Work
Work commences when we have agreed on the scope and terms; I will provide a work-order based on our agreement. Once a signed copy of the work-order is scanned back to me I will begin work. When I have finished I will send back the completed work along with an invoice. Unless otherwise agreed upon, payment is due upon completion. I prefer payment through PayPal; it is secure and convenient to use. If PayPal is not an option for you, please let me know prior to work commencing and we can find another payment option.
Registered charities and not-for-profits receive a 20% discount on all work done.
If you have any questions regarding my services or wish to discuss a project, please email me at brent.jans(at)gmail.com. I look forward to helping you with your next project!
- current editor for On Spec Magazine
- current editor for Uncaged Anthology Volume 1-4 (Vol.1, Vol.2 and Vol.3 out now, Vol.4 coming soon!)
- The Sudden Storm by Paige Ford
- Heart of a Hero by Kelly Mangerino
- Foreign Element for Mystic Ages Publishing
- The Player’s Guide to Zeif for Living Greyhawk
“With Brent you have a knowledgeable and creative editor elevating your work.” – Paige Ford, The Sudden Storm
“I’ve had the pleasure of working with Brent on the Uncaged Anthology, which is no easy task for an editor. Brent is a skillful, keen-eyed editor with a deft touch. More importantly, he is communicative, encouraging, and a joy to work with.” – Ashley Warren, Uncaged Anthology project