The Devil, as they say, is in the Details…
I provide editing services for individuals and small businesses at reasonable rates. If you are a self-publishing author, small press publisher, or indie role-playing game writer/designer, I would love to help you with your next project.
As your editor, my priority is helping your work shine. I approach every editing job with enthusiasm and respect; I think those two things are key to working with any writer’s creation. Our first step will be a conversation, by email or Skype/Google Hangout, to get an idea of what you’re looking for and establish the scope of the project. If your company has an editing test for freelancers, I’m happy to take it.
I charge by the word, based on the type of editing you require. Prices include the pre-work discussion to ensure you are getting the level of editing you require, editing services, and a post-work discussion to go over the finished work. My rates are as follows:
- Developmental editing: 9 cents/word
- Copy editing: 7 cents/word
- Proofreading: 5 cents/word
- Add 2 cents a word for rush work (deadline of seven days or less)
- Add 5 cents a word for same day turnaround
- Add 1 cent a word for NSFW content, as decided by me
- Rates are negotiable, based on your project budget or royalty split
I would prefer to receive documents electronically, in either .doc/.docx or .rtf (rich-text format), or as a Google Doc. I can work from hard-copy if you require; in the case of hard-copy, the client is responsible for the cost of document shipping in both directions.
For All Work
Work commences when we agree on the scope and terms; I will provide an invoice with a word count of the unedited document, based on our agreement. When I finish I will send back the completed work. Unless otherwise agreed upon, payment is due upon completion. I prefer payment through PayPal; it is secure and convenient to use. If PayPal is not an option for you, please let me know prior to work commencing and we can find another payment option.
Registered charities and not-for-profits receive a 20% discount on all work done.
If you have any questions regarding my services or wish to discuss a project, please use the Contact Form below. I look forward to working with you!
- current editor for On Spec Magazine
- Kobold Nightmare by Drew Dawes
- Black Swan RPG by Jack Deslippe
- Tavern Tales for Escape Plan Games (upcoming, link on release)
- current editor for Uncaged Anthology Volume 1-4 (Vol.1, Vol.2 and Vol.3 and Vol.4 out now!)
- The Sudden Storm and What the Ruins Kept by Paige Ford
- Heart of a Hero by Kelly Mangerino
- Foreign Element for Mystic Ages Publishing
“With Brent you have a knowledgeable and creative editor elevating your work.” – Paige Ford, The Sudden Storm
“I’ve had the pleasure of working with Brent on the Uncaged Anthology, which is no easy task for an editor. Brent is a skillful, keen-eyed editor with a deft touch. More importantly, he is communicative, encouraging, and a joy to work with.” – Ashley Warren, Uncaged Anthology project